Robert is a Senior Manager in HBK Valuation Group’s Pittsburgh office. His public accounting experience includes extensive involvement with businesses and individuals planning for and complying with federal, state and local tax filing requirements, as well as financial statement analysis for attest. He has leveraged his years of experience and skills as a Certified Public Accountant into performing valuation services of closely held businesses, pass-through entities, C corporations, professional practices, intangible assets, family limited partnerships, and other entities in various industries including:
- Health Care
- Software Development
- Dairy Production
- Professional Services
- Life Sciences
- Lumber & Wood Products
- Mechanical Contracting
- Transportation & Trucking
- Financial Services
- Real Estate Operation
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Youngstown State University
- Member, American Society of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Member, Pennsylvania Institute of CPAs (PICPA)
- Member, National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts (NACVA)
Q: Have you always been interested in valuation?
RZ: I have been interested in valuation since college, where I received some limited, although interesting exposure to the discipline. I joined HBK out of school knowing that the firm had a valuation group. In fact, it was one of the “tie-breakers” that helped me choose HBK over other firms. I began my career in our tax practice but was given an opportunity in business valuation and began to steer my career in that direction – and the more I learned about it, the more interested I became.
Q: To what do you attribute the success you’ve experienced in your career?
RZ: I owe a lot of my success to others in the firm, in our valuation group and beyond. Business valuation requires a strong accounting and financial background, and I learned from some of the best at HBK, honing my tax preparation and planning and financial statement skills. My mentors were extremely supportive of my transition to the Valuation Group. Once there, however, I again found myself in a place where I needed the guidance and instruction of accomplished professionals and mentor. I found those here as well. Career success is dependent on your drive and motivation, putting the time and effort into making sure your technical abilities are strong and building meaningful relationships and networks. But a lot is also determined by your relationships with colleagues and your mentors; I was lucky to have many here at HBK.
Q: What is the most fulfilling aspect about your work?
RZ: I really enjoy working directly with business owners to help them understand the value of what they have created over the years. For many, the business is their largest asset; and, even when it isn’t, it is likely the asset that means the most to them, having invested so much time, effort and resources into its success. As such, our clients are typically highly engaged in the valuation process, which makes for rewarding work.
Articles from Robert J. Zahner
Our Leadership Team
- Kelly L. Carrier, ASA, CBA, CPA-ABV, CFP® Principal-in-Charge
- Todd F. Bryarly, CFA, ASA, CBA, MBA Principal
- Beth A. Mascetta, CPA, CVA Principal
- Richard F. Brabender, JD, CVA Senior Director
- Christopher G. Cothran, CPA, CVA, CGMA Director
- Stacey D. Udell, CPA, ABV, CFF, CVA Director
- Debbie Foister, CPA, CFE, CFF, CIRA, CVA Senior Manager
- Christopher J. Pattison, CVA Senior Manager
- Robert J. Zahner, CPA/ABV, ASA, CVA Senior Manager