Todd is a Principal of HBK Valuation Group in Youngstown, Ohio. He has more than 14 years’ experience in financial services, including business valuation, equity research, financial planning, and auditing, and specializations in investments, equities, trading, retirement plans, and insurance. He has performed or managed valuation engagements for hundreds of clients ranging from closely held businesses to large publicly traded companies. He is the HBK technical expert on valuation, managing roughly 90 percent of all valuation projects and leading HBKVG’s Valuation for Financial Reporting Purposes Segment.
Todd has valued privately owned operating companies and divisions, investment holding companies, proprietorships and other entities in various industries, including healthcare, construction, software development, biotechnology, chemicals, professional services, life sciences, lumber and wood products, hedge fund management, distribution, transportation and trucking, financial services, manufacturing, real estate, graphic arts supplies, mechanical contracting, and oil-and-gas exploration.
- Master of Business Administration (MBA), Youngstown State University, 2004
- Bachelor of Science, Business Administration, Youngstown State University, 2001
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) – CFA Institute
- Accredited Senior Appraiser in Business Valuation (ASA) – American Society of Appraisers
- Certified Business Appraiser (CBA) – Institute of Business Appraisers
- Member, American Society of Appraisers
- Member, Institute of Business Appraisers
- Member, CFA Institute
- Member, CFA Society of Pittsburgh
- President, Mahoning/Shenango Valley Estate Planning Council
Q: Have you always been interested in valuation?
TB: Like most freshly minted college graduates, I was unaware business valuation was a career path option. But I always had a strong interest in analysis and financial markets. Before entering the job market, I would review the Securities & Exchange Commission filings for public companies issuing financial statements for fun. Yes, for fun. My curiosity led me into a career as an equity research analyst. I would recommend whether to buy, sell or hold certain stocks. Then I discovered a business appraiser was a close cousin of an equity research analyst. Becoming a business appraiser has advanced my strengths as a numbers and analyst person, while helping me fine tune my writing, management and negotiation skill set. It was truly a perfect match.
Q: What is the most fulfilling aspect about your work?
TB: The two most fulfilling aspects of my job are assisting business owners and mentoring team members. Business owners dedicate years of hard work, late nights, sweat and tears into building and growing their businesses. It is extremely rewarding when my team and I can play a role in helping them during their transition phase. Transitions can take the form of a sale to an outside party, sale or gift to family members, or an employee buy-in/buyout. In addition, I find mentoring team members to also be extremely fulfilling, particularly when I can help a colleague overcome obstacles, they believe are insurmountable.
Q: What do you like most about the culture at HBKVG?
TB: First and foremost, the promotion of the client, in other words, the client’s interests always come before all other things, including the bottom line. This allows me to grow deep, long lasting, and most importantly, meaningful relationships. When that is at the forefront, everything else falls in line. Secondly, we have enormous amounts of industry experience, and there are numerous opportunities for HBKVG to utilize this expertise through our engagements. Thankfully, working together is highly promoted and encouraged at HBK. In fact, it is our tag line.
Our Leadership Team
- Kelly L. Carrier, ASA, CBA, CPA-ABV, CFP® Principal-in-Charge
- Todd F. Bryarly, CFA, ASA, CBA, MBA Principal
- Beth A. Mascetta, CPA, CVA Principal
- Richard F. Brabender, JD, CVA Senior Director
- Christopher G. Cothran, CPA, CVA, CGMA Director
- Stacey D. Udell, CPA, ABV, CFF, CVA Director
- Debbie Foister, CPA, CFE, CFF, CIRA, CVA Senior Manager
- Christopher J. Pattison, CVA Senior Manager
- Robert J. Zahner, CPA/ABV, ASA, CVA Senior Manager