Stacey is Director of Valuation, Litigation and Forensics for the Mid-Atlantic Region of HBK Valuation Group. She has over 20 years’ experience in business valuation, forensic accounting, economic damages, and litigation support services. Valuations of businesses and professional practices for purposes of bankruptcy for submission to courts and trustees, Divorce, ESOP compliance, estate and gift tax planning and compliance, mergers and acquisitions, succession planning, compensation studies and damage studies are also a part of Stacey’s experience.
In her prior role as a partner in a full-service accounting firm, Stacey provided accounting and tax services for closely-held and family businesses, including financial statement preparation, business and personal income tax planning, compliance, and estate and business succession planning.
Stacey has valued privately-owned operating companies and divisions, investment holding companies, proprietorships, and other entities in various industries including, but not limited to:
- Health care
- Insurance and Financial
- Real estate management
- Distribution services
- Retail sales
- Food Production
- Legal services
- Wholesale sales
Stacey has been qualified as an expert in the State of New Jersey and has received extensive training on providing expert witness testimony and litigation support for business valuations. She has worked with counsel on valuations prepared for marital dissolutions, shareholder and estate tax disputes, as well as on complicated computations of economic damages, and has successfully defended her opinions of value. Additionally, she has volunteered at the ABA/NITA Family Law Trial Advocacy program.
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting, University of Delaware
- Member, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Member, AICPA Forensic and Litigation Services Committee
- Member and Chairperson, AICPA Family Law Task Force
- Committee Member, AICPA Forensic and Valuation Services Conferences
- Member, National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts (NACVA)
- Member, New Jersey – NACVA
- Member and Leader of the Cannabis Industry Group, New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accountants (NJSCPA)
- Founding Member and Board Member, South Jersey Collaborative Divorce Professionals
- Founding Member, Bridge West Network
Q: What do you do at HBKVG?
SU: I try to help people get through difficult times as painlessly as possible. Since my main litigation focus is on divorce cases, I try to help my clients navigate a rough time as seamlessly as possible and with great consideration of their financial situations, especially as they relate to the future. I’m a parent, too, and I don’t want them spending their children’s college funds on the process.
Q: How has your process changed in the past 5 – 10 years with advances in technology and increasing availability of information?
SU: Valuation is an art, not a science. Technology has made valuations easier, but it is also causing people to operate mechanically and not always think through things.
Q: How would you describe the culture at HBKVG?
SU: I love the way the firm, as a whole, encourages personal growth and shows such great support for and open-mindedness about new opportunities, such as those in the emerging Cannabis industry. Only a very forward-thinking business is willing to take risks by looking to the future for opportunity instead of playing it safe.
Q: What is the most fulfilling aspect about your work?
SU: Helping people through divorce. Knowing that, at a time in someone’s life when everything seems so unclear, uncertain, and often even unstable, I can help provide a sense of calm or reassurance, at least in terms of the litigation aspect of the process. Having the sense that I’m offering clients comfort and support at a time when they most need it is what drives and fulfills me in my work.
Our Leadership Team
- Kelly L. Carrier, ASA, CBA, CPA-ABV, CFP® Principal-in-Charge
- Todd F. Bryarly, CFA, ASA, CBA, MBA Principal
- Beth A. Mascetta, CPA, CVA Principal
- Richard F. Brabender, JD, CVA Senior Director
- Christopher G. Cothran, CPA, CVA, CGMA Director
- Stacey D. Udell, CPA, ABV, CFF, CVA Director
- Debbie Foister, CPA, CFE, CFF, CIRA, CVA Senior Manager
- Christopher J. Pattison, CVA Senior Manager
- Robert J. Zahner, CPA/ABV, ASA, CVA Senior Manager