Richard is Senior Director of HBK Valuation Group, Pittsburgh office. He has over thirty years’ experience in providing litigation support services and expert reports and testimony, covering a number of topics including:
- Business valuation for estate planning
- Business valuation for business continuity planning
- Business valuation for actual transactions
- Business valuation for equitable distribution
- Damage calculations
- Lost profits calculations
He has directly appraised or managed the appraisals of closely held entities in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Canada, South America, Europe and Asia. Richard has provided specialized services to clients in a broad range of industries.
Richard is a qualified expert in Courts of Common Pleas in Pennsylvania in addition to counties in Florida, Ohio and West Virginia. He also has provided testimony in arbitration proceedings and served as a Special Master on valuation issues.
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting from Pennsylvania State University
- Juris Doctor from University of Pittsburgh
- Member, Allegheny County Bar Association
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Member, National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts (NACVA)
Q: What is the most fulfilling aspect about your work?
RB: What matters most to me, when appraising a company or serving as an expert witness, is knowing that I’m helping secure their financial future. I want to provide them the best outcome for their valuation or litigation circumstance, and more, I want them to know they have a partner they can trust when it comes to looking after their interests, not only for themselves but for their loved ones.
Q: What would you look for in a valuation advisor?
RB: The same thing you’d look for in a physician or real estate agent or another professional you’re entrusting with something very valuable. Whether it’s my health or my property: I want to find a person who has focus, experience and excellent communication skills. I want to have someone I can rely on to be in my corner fighting for me, which is why I take my role as a personal advisor to my clients to heart every time.
Q: Where do your good ideas for your clients come from?
RB: Listening. You can’t know what’s important to someone without being silent and actively listening to what they have to say – or sometimes, even picking up on what they aren’t saying. Anticipating need through good listening skills and using my experience with other cases, I can create the best options and strategic plans for what my clients need most.
Our Leadership Team
- Kelly L. Carrier, ASA, CBA, CPA-ABV, CFP® Principal-in-Charge
- Todd F. Bryarly, CFA, ASA, CBA, MBA Principal
- Beth A. Mascetta, CPA, CVA Principal
- Richard F. Brabender, JD, CVA Senior Director
- Christopher G. Cothran, CPA, CVA, CGMA Director
- Stacey D. Udell, CPA, ABV, CFF, CVA Director
- Debbie Foister, CPA, CFE, CFF, CIRA, CVA Senior Manager
- Christopher J. Pattison, CVA Senior Manager
- Robert J. Zahner, CPA/ABV, ASA, CVA Senior Manager