Christopher G. Cothran, CPA, CVA, CGMA, is a Director in HBKVG’s West Palm Beach, Florida office and has been with the firm since 2019.
Over his nearly two decades of professional experience, Christopher has developed expertise in business valuation, appraisal of intangible assets, valuation of tangible personal property, and industrial/utility project development.
He has worked with businesses in many industries, including Railroads, Construction, Electric Utilities, Medical Specialties, Marinas, Retail/Wholesale, Sanitation, Outdoor Advertising, Auto Dealerships, Real Estate, and Professional Services.
- Bachelor of Science in Agriculture & Applied Economics, Minor in Economics, Clemson University
- Master of Accounting with a concentration in Forensic Accounting, Florida Atlantic University
- Member, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Member, Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants (FICPA)
- Member, National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts (NACVA)
Q: To what do you attribute the success you’ve experienced in your career?
CG: I would say there are two primary drivers to my success to date. First, the work ethic that was instilled in me as a young man by my parents and mentors. I bring a relentless pursuit to the task at hand, knowing that my team and my clients need me to be focused on getting the job done the right way the first time. The second driver is learning to listen. Several years into my career one of my mentors taught me the value of listening. Taking the time to listen understand an owner’s vision of their business, the complaint being made against another party, or the plan that your teammate has for resolving an issue are critical to reaching a successful outcome on a timely basis. Proper listening will result in good questions that help move projects along faster, resulting in positive outcomes for all parties involved.
Q: Describe your current role at the firm and your responsibilities.
CG: I am the Director of Valuation, Litigation & Forensic services offered to our clients in Southeast Florida, and my job is to drive through the numbers so that I understand the story of your business and the value that has been created by your effort.
Q: What is the most fulfilling aspect about your work?
CG: Seeing customers leverage our time together into a renewed focus on their business. Many times, we have been able to work with a business owner to address a succession plan that allows them to remember why they started the business to begin with, and refocus their effort on making sure that the business is in great shape when the time comes for the next generation of management to take the reins.
Q: How would you describe the culture at HBKVG?
CG: The biggest thing that drew me to HBKVG is that the team really does seem to live the firms values. We are a group of people that work diligently together in order to help our clients succeed. Our ability to work together is not limited to the valuation team. The HBK CPAs & Consultants and HBKS Wealth Advisors teams are all focused on a coordinated response to client needs when appropriate.
Our Leadership Team
- Kelly L. Carrier, ASA, CBA, CPA-ABV, CFP® Principal-in-Charge
- Todd F. Bryarly, CFA, ASA, CBA, MBA Principal
- Beth A. Mascetta, CPA, CVA Principal
- Richard F. Brabender, JD, CVA Senior Director
- Christopher G. Cothran, CPA, CVA, CGMA Director
- Stacey D. Udell, CPA, ABV, CFF, CVA Director
- Debbie Foister, CPA, CFE, CFF, CIRA, CVA Senior Manager
- Christopher J. Pattison, CVA Senior Manager
- Robert J. Zahner, CPA/ABV, ASA, CVA Senior Manager